Since moving to a whole foods, more plant-based diet, I rarely crave meat, especially red meat, anymore. My fiance, on the other hand, while he whole-heartedly supports my efforts and reaps the benefits of our diet himself, is still a meat-man. Every once in a while, I throw some sort of meat-centered dish into the meal plan like I did last week with these meatballs. Even I will admit that it was an enjoyable change.
I use 100% grass-fed, organic beef whenever I need ground beef since it’s way more nutritious than conventional ground beef. You can also opt for ground turkey, which is a bit leaner and just as tasty in this recipe. I’ve made it using both and have been equally satisfied.
What makes this recipe super health conscious, aside from non conventional meat, is that the pasta is secretly a vegetable. Using squash instead of pasta eliminates that over-stuffed, bloated “I ate too much pasta” feeling in favorite of a nutritious satisfaction, yielding a meal that my veggie-obsessed self and my meat-loving fiancé can enjoy!
Spaghetti ((squash)) and Meatballs
- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
- 1 small-medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 15 oz. cans of your favorite organic tomato sauce (I use this brand)
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil and oregano to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Combine meat, egg, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mix together and form into 20 small, even-sized meatballs
- Bake meatballs for 6 minutes (until almost cooked through)
- While the meatballs bake, season the two cans of tomato sauce on a stove top with salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, and oregano and bring to a simmer
- Transfer meatballs after the 6 minutes to the sauce, cover, and allow them to finish off for about 35 minutes
- Turn the oven heat down to 375°
- Cut spaghetti squash in half, brush with oil and season with salt and pepper
- Bake for 35 minutes,
- Allow squash to cool slightly, and scoop flesh out with a fork
- Serve with sauce and meatballs