True story: soup is literally my favorite meal ever.
My husband, however, he’s not the biggest fan. He doesn’t actually think that soup is a whole meal. I try to add as many man-friendly foods to my soups as possible, like meat, beans, and anything spicy, and he usually cooperates. But sometimes I really just want something super healthy and plant based, like my favorite butternut squash and apple soup.
It’s not that my husband doesn’t like it, he just eats 2 sandwiches on the side. But me, a nice, steaming bowl of this soup with a pice of crusty bread to dip is the perfect meal in my book.
I’m a bit heavy-handed with the ginger, but if it’s not your thing feel free to cut back or leave it out altogether. I love the taste of ginger and the medicinal properties keep my immune system in check during these cold, wet months =)
You can use whichever type of apples you choose, depending on how sweet/savory you want your soup. I honestly use whatever I have around the house when I make this (typically granny smith or anything crisp) and I enjoy it more and more every time. Then again, what’s not to love about a bowl of comforting, warm soup!
Crockpot Butternut Squash and Apple Soup (vegan, gluten free)
- 32 oz. vegetable stock
- 1 small-medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (seeds removed)
- 4-5 small apples of your choice, peeled, cored and diced
- 1-2 inches minced ginger
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix prepped ingredients and spices in crockpot
- Cover with vegetable stock, adding water if necessary
- Cook on low for 7 hours
- Blend with immersion blender or transfer to traditional blender in batches to blend
- Serve it up with some crusty bread (and a few shavings of fresh Parmesan if you’re not vegan) and enjoy =)