I don’t know how I haven’t already posted this soup…because it is probably the easiest recipe in the history of the world and I literally make it all the time. And I have about a gazillion pictures of it.
It’s one of those meals that taste like they’re super complicated but are actually embarrassingly simple. And, I don’t care if it’s 95° out, this soup makes an almost weekly appearance in our house. Even my “soup isn’t a real meal” anti-soup hubby loves it. Me, I really just love it because it’s like taco night without cleaning a thousand ramekins =)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1½ cups black beans (or 1 can)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 32 oz. box chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 serving DIY taco seasoning (or 1 packet)
- toppings: avocado, cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips
- throw everything into the crock pot (except toppings) on low for 5 hours
- remove chicken, shred, and return to soup
- serve in bowls with crushed tortilla chips, cheddar, and sliced avocado
Picky husbands require that their chips be sprinkled on top to avoid getting soggy. I prefer layering the bottom of the bowl with chips and cheese, then top with hot soup and fresh avocado. It’s like a giant bowl of melted nachos. To each his own, I guess.